Bottling Summer

27 Jun

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com

The old tin bath has been taken down from the wall of the barn.

Used wine bottles are left to steep for a few hours in rainwater.

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (3)Washed and clean, ready to be filled with home-made Blackcurrant wine.

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (4)There is always at least one day during the Summer, when one feels enthusiastic enough to overcome the reluctance to get stuck into bottling wine…today, all the right chords were struck and the work began!

Cork stoppers were duly washed and left to soak and soften, till, finally…

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (2)the wine was securely bottled! All that remains to be done is labelling…Chateau Bealtaine!

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (2)Outside the back door, Summer continues in layers of sheer abundance…Feverfew splurges on masses of tiny, daisy-like flowers.

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (5) Midsummer has only just crossed over and the garlic is ready to pull, with the first batch of Garlic and Oregano Olive Oil infusing.

Summer just keeps on getting bottled!

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (4)There is so much food and flowers, it’s sheer Heaven!

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (5)Walking around the cottage is a feast for the senses!

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.comEven the ancient Polygonum is covered with bright red flowers…one of the very few plants here that has nothing for the Bees…but a delight for me!

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (6)Yellow Loosestrife stands tall in the casual cottage borders.

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (7)Roses fall over in a drunken Summer stupor, heavy with scent and bees.

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (8)Petals cascade onto stone steps, ivory wraps for blushing fairies.

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (9)Valerian falls onto the gravel path, dropping seeds and heavy flower-heads onto the visitor’s shoe.

permaculture @ bealtainecottage.com (10)And the Summer that was bottled today, will be brought out amidst smiles and raised glasses in the depths of Midwinter.

25 Responses to “Bottling Summer”

1. pollyperkins123 July 2, 2014 at 6:30 am #

It was Queen Victoria who called Pelagoniums, Geraniums and everyone copied her. I suspect that no-one liked to correct her!

2. ally June 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

Absolutely lovely. In my garden the lavender and honeysuckle is covered with happy bees. Like you, I love what I commonly call geraniums. Lovely show of colour in pots on the windowsills of my cottage. Happy happy days. Blessings to you x

• Bealtaine Cottage June 28, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

Cottages and “Geraniums” just go together, don’t they!

• ally June 28, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

Yes,they do! Especially my little whitewashed stone cottage in the heart of North Yorkshire. You know, I’ve always called them geraniums and never realised until today I ‘m prob wrong. The purple ones in my garden are geraniums though? Been making elderflower cordial with my two year old granddaughter, Kitty Rose. She calls it daisy juice. Seems to have been lots of elderflower this year x

• Bealtaine Cottage June 28, 2014 at 10:04 pm #

What a beautiful name, Kitty Rose! You’re right, the blue ones are Geranium and come in pink as well. The blue ones are called Johnsons Blue

3. robertcurris June 28, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

mmm. A glass of the house ‘Midsummer’ red sounds perfect for a damp November evening.

4. linden June 28, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

the beauty of story unfolding in Ireland…thank you for the sharing of your making.

5. Maura June 28, 2014 at 11:50 am #

Slainte…
    lluv
    Maura
    xx

6. Shannon June 27, 2014 at 11:45 pm #

and oh, the deliciousness of that blackcurrant wine! Rob still talks about it as the best part of Ireland….blessings on this years batch, from the depths of our Midwinter.
    cheers, Shannon

7. Charlene June 27, 2014 at 11:39 pm #

Wonderful!

8. Silverleaf June 27, 2014 at 11:08 pm #

Such a lovely post! It reminds me of the book, Blackberry Wine, by Joanne Harris. I especially like the line about the faeries.

• Bealtaine Cottage June 28, 2014 at 10:32 am #

I am a great fan of Joanne Harris and Blackberry Wine is a favourite book of mine too…a lovely read altogether!

• Silverleaf June 28, 2014 at 1:30 pm #

Oh that’s wonderful! I used to read it every summer – when I lived in Killarney, actually. I might go and dig it out again.

• ally June 28, 2014 at 8:36 pm #

Blackberry Wine, Lollipop Shoes and Chocolat. Lovely and witchy and great reads!

9. Mavis Urwin June 27, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

From the depths of a cold Australian winter, this breath of summer from your beautiful cottage was very welcome. Thank you.

10. Anne Whoriskey June 27, 2014 at 9:44 pm #

Hi there

How do you make your wine, we have no blackcurrants here yet but it is looking good this year.

I have never made wine before but I have made cider a few times from all our apples.

Any tips and receipts would be welcome.

Kind Regards

Anne Whoriskey

P Please – Think before you print!

11. Anonymous June 27, 2014 at 8:52 pm #

You send me dreams of abundance on the hot, arid Texas prairie. Thank you.

12. Keven Mundy June 27, 2014 at 6:38 pm #

It all looks lovely….

13. Anonymous June 27, 2014 at 6:28 pm #

Today’s post was full of energy and optimism. Keep up the good work. :)

Enjoyed your visit to Bealtaine Cottage? Why not leave a comment or use the "Like" button...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 5,254 other followers